Fight to Save Your Driver's License!
Advice from a DUI Defense Lawyer in Snohomish County, WA
There may be ways your attorney can help save your driver's license
and right to drive. But don't risk driving on a suspended license,
the risks are too great! If you drive after losing your license, you may
be charged with a Gross Misdemeanor crime punishable by up to a year in
jail, a $5,000 fine, and a suspension of your license for a year.
Also beware that an INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE is
not a valid alternative if your Washington State License has been suspended!
If you are here on a visa, you could be deported, if you drive without
What can I do to Save my Washington State Driver's License?
- First and foremost, hire an experienced attorney. There are many factors
to consider. I can help you with all the steps below, and point out other
challenges that may be specific to your situation.
hearing from the DOL, and request the officer's presence. It will give you
a preview of a trial, a rarity in criminal cases. The officer who signed
the affidavit and notice of hearing must show up and justify the revocation.
Other officers may be subpoenaed.
- Retest the sample. Testing errors may save your license.
- Investigate the adequacy of the stop. The officer must have had a reasonable
suspicion that a crime or traffic infraction was being committed.
- Investigate the adequacy of the arrest and request for a test. The officer
must have developed a reasonable belief that you were impaired by alcohol.
- Check the times of events. Officers must perform the tests within certain
guidelines and follow the Washington Administrative Code when performing a test.
- Check the labeling of the sample. It must be identified as being yours.
- Attend the motor vehicle hearing. Listen for fabrications and other errors.
See my driver's license FAQpage for more information!